Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why?

I remember when I got my big chop. I walked in with my relaxed hair that was to my mid back and told Cheryl to chop it all of. And since then December 16, 2007 I've gotten one question over and over...why.

At first I would go into great detail with people and tell them why I had to step away from the creamy white crack, but as time has passed I ask them why not? And they are stopped in their tracks. I don't feel the need to have to justify why I chose to go back to my roots and stop putting such a toxic deadly chemical in my hair. I felt like if anyone, others should explain to me why I would want to put a hazard on my body just to try shying away from God's blessing.

Now, let me say this...I don't hate on women who have relaxers, that's your choice. But I do wish that these women would think about what they're doing and what type of image they are passing on to their daughters. Natural hair can be straightened, its been done for ages. But suddenly, its more important to teach your daughters to wear someone else's hair, or to get lyed to and straighten their hair. If more black women were to look at these older black women who've been lyed to, they would see that relaxers are not a good choice for your hair. That's why so many older black women wind up wearing short hair cuts or rockin a TWA because of the effects of relaxers. Once it came time for me to pay for my own hair appointments that's when I decided to go natural, because it was finally my choice. So, no this isn't written as me trying to be hypocritical, just honest.

We as black women are so quick to talk about other ethnicities of women with their botox and collagen. We talk about them needing to embrace what God gave them and to stop putting these dangerous chemicals on, near, or in their bodies....But there is an over alarming amount black women who do the same thing every 6 weeks with their hair. Its like back in the day when darker blacks were told to buy skin bleaching cream to make them lighter...thus making them more attractive. Its the same thing if not worse to me. You pass that same 'not good enough' mentality to your children.

Let me stop before I start preaching...I'll try writing a new post tomorrow.
With Love....
Naturally Random

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People will ask: Why don't you relax your hair? Next time i get asked that, i will answer: bcuz i don't want to be ashamed of my hair anymore.
    I will let them meditate on that. The question in itself is an attempt to raise some shame inside you about your hair ( Your's is not beautifull enough why don't you.....)

    ReplyDelete